A single combined score is reported because it is more reliable than either task score alone although the GRE ® Analytical Writing measure contains two discrete analytical writing tasks. The score reported will represent the typical regarding the scores for the two tasks.
Score of 6 Outstanding
A 6 paper presents a cogent, well-articulated critique associated with argument and conveys meaning skillfully.
A paper that is typical this category:
- clearly identifies important features of the argument and analyzes them insightfully
- develops ideas cogently, organizes them logically and connects them with clear transitions
- effectively supports the key points associated with the critique
- demonstrates control of language, including appropriate word choice and sentence variety
- demonstrates facility aided by the conventions (in other words., grammar, usage and mechanics) of standard written English but may have errors that are minor